Friday 18 May 2012

Daisy Granny Square pattern

Hello Lovelies,
 thank you all so much for your wonderful "Yorkshire" comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed sharing my pictures :0)
Here is a photo tutorial of my latest square .Quite a few you you lovelies seemed to like it . I expect there are similar patterns already in existence , but this is my own creation and thought  you might like to try it .....




It's a simple pattern . The only part you may find tricky is the puff stitch . Don't worry if you are not familiar with how to do these as I've taken lots of pictures to help you master it. There may be other ways to do this stitch but I'll show you my way ...hope that's ok :0)


The pattern is written in U.S. terms. I have used stylecraft special double knitting yarn and a 4mm hook but you could use any yarn of your choice with the recommended hook size. Gauge is not important.
Stitches used and abbreviations
ch = chain
s.c. = single crochet
d.c. = double crochet


using yellow yarn.......... begin by chaining 4 and slip stitch in first ch to join to form a ring...........


ch 1 ........


and work  7 sc into ring, the space you want is the bottom space in the picture above  ............


I crochet over the loose end as I make my sc stitches , that way you can pull the centre tighter with it if you want



slip stitch into first sc to join and fasten off.........


NOTE the next part will seem rather tricky if you are not used to making puff stitches. You have quite a few loose loops on your hook and you will end up dropping some occasionally .....I still do....when this happens I just start that stitch again.Try to keep an upwards tension with your hook between loops to help them stay in place and not get too small. It just takes a bit of practice so don't give up :0)

using white yarn ........ join into any sc and make a puff stitch like this..........

I always join a new colour by attaching the yarn to my hook . In this case I insert my hook from back to front..

yarn over hook 

pull through sc and yarn on hook and draw up a loop of about 1.5 cm length........


yarn over and insert hook through the same sc, this time I insert my hook from the front to the back...



yarn over and pull  back through sc ....
3 loops on hook


repeat previous step...yarn over , insert hook in same sc,yarn over and pull back through sc...
5 loops on hook

 last time now .... yarn over insert hook from front to back of same sc, yarn over and pull through...
7 loops on hook
NOTE if you would like a puffier puff you can add another 2 loops at this stage  i.e. a 4th yarn over, insert hook,yarn over , pull through ( 9 loops on hook ! )  Try both and see which you prefer :0)


to finish of the puff simply yarn over and draw through all 7  (9) loops.........





And for this pattern chain 3 .......

Repeat the puff stitches around...1 in each sc.........


once you have made eight puff stitches chain 3 and slip stitch into top of first puff to join, fasten off........


Whew, that's the tricky bit over !

Join the next colour of your choice into any 3 chain space and chain 3 ( counts as first dc ).........


work 2 dc,chain 2 , 3 dc into same three chain space.......

forms the first corner

I do not put chains between my granny square clusters so into the next 3 chain space work 3 dc....


then it's the second corner, made like this .......3 dc , 2 chain , 3 dc........


repeat around and slip stitch into beginning chain 3 .........


You could fasten off at this stage and join a new colour but I carried on with a further round in the same colour. Make it in the same way as first granny round , just with extra side clusters ........


At the moment I'm making lots of centers so I can get all the trickiness out of the way :0)......


My squares are going to make a baby blanket to go in my shop. These seem to be my favourite projects of 2012 . You could easily use them for any project that calls for granny squares...and as we know there are so many possibilities........Enjoy :0)

Please let me know if anything is unclear and I'll try to help .
Jacquie x

62 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely pattern/tutorial! I think I'll try it very soon!!
    Have a lovely weekend, xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacquie, Thank you SO much for posting this tutorial ! I REALLY wanted to make this motif and was looking for a clear pattern and now I have one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks so much for the pattern. As soon as i find time i will sit down and try this out. Nice breakfast would love to come to your house

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial--thanks for sharing! I especially love the red, white, blue, and green doily/placemat under your red vase. SO PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this great granny square, it is definitely going on my to-do list

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing- such beautiful wool colours...love your table it looks really bright and cheery in your home x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so, so cute! Thanks for the tutorial. You know what I'll be working on this evening:) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I can't wait to see your finished blanket. These would make an amazingly adorable pillow too! Can't wait to try them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the lovely clear tutorial. The photos help a lot! I love that puff stitch and the row of cheerful colour around the white flower petals really finishes it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Jacquie, this is such a pretty square!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, simple tutorial. I will be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. I love daisies best of all especially on a blue background so this will be my next project! Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to have a go!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just looking at a project that included puff stitches and I haven't tried them before so this tutorial is great timing! I will be coming back to read closely when I have my crochet in my hands! The daisy squares are lovely. Thank you for sharing the tutorial with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pattern, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this tutorial -- your blanket is going to be lovely! I am using your granny square directions to make a giant granny, and look forward to trying this square out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the pattern, for to share. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. very nice, thank you so much for the instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all of the yorkshire pictures, such a gorgeous place. Such bright happy squares, makes a person feel good and thankyou for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the daisy squares look lovely... I wondered who was making them when I saw a picture on Attic24. Your red spotty jug looks great also. Still keeping my eye out for an enamel one...

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the tute..Ilove daisies and not happy with the pattern i have now. Will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These daisy squares look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely pattern, thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for your super tutorial!! I so need pictures and this is perfect!!!!! I also am in love with the colors you used in the last picture's granny squares!!! So fresh, yet they have a sweet vintage feel, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How cute! Great pattern too :) will be giving this one a try for sure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this pattern. Have included the link in this week's roundup of top crochet posts!

    http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2012/05/the-best-crochet-blog-posts-from-the-web-this-week/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Obrigada por ensinar o passo à passo.
    Muito lindo e belas cores.
    Parabéns.
    Beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant tutorial, thank you. Must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are so pretty and cute...thanks for the great tute :) I see many of these in my future <3
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are SOooooo cute! I will definitely be adding these to my 'To-Do' list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Jacquie! You are brilliant! With your tutorial, I was able to work the puff stitch straight away! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't wait starting this beatiful pattern. It's delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So very cheerful! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Perfect timing, was just starting a Jubilee cushion cover so am using your squares and it looks good already.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm SO happy I found this pattern! I saw it on Attic 24 -- are you friends? I only just discovered Attic 24, (I'm reading this in San Francisco) saw these squares on one of her photos, then googled "Daisy Granny Square pattern" and you came up. Happy, happy, happy. Now. How do you join the squares???? Do you do a white border? Once around? Twice . . . or? Help! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Found your blog when searching for a good "basic granny square" pattern. I have found it. Love your blog. I am 63 and my grandmother taught me how to make a basic granny square many, many years ago (I think I might have been 10-12 years old). It has been quite some time since I have made them and my memory isn't what it was :). Thank you for your tutorials.

    I have read instructions for the puff stitch and was quite confused. Thank you for the pictures. Now I believe I will be able to accomplish the task. I also have enjoyed you pictures and blog posts. How many of the squares would be needed for a baby afghan?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you sooo much for this pattern. Your instructions and tutorials are great! Love all of your work. I will definately try this pattern. Also, love the bunnies, my granddaughter has 4 and loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am adding this to my To-Do List. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is such a pretty pattern, Jacquie! I have just tried out one flower square and would like to make a cushion. Can you tell me what sort of method you used to join up the squares? Thank you very much! I always love coming in here to see your latest patterns and projects! Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra ,I added another row and joined as I went.....so quick and easy :0)
      Jacquie x

      Delete
  41. Gracias esta bien explicado...soy de Ecuador-Guayaquil
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Jacquie! I love all your ideas, your patterns and designs, specially I love the one for the teapot that you show at the end of this site. Could you tell me please how to start making this pattern? I know it's a granny square but the way I start it looks very different and I'm not happy with my results. Thanks a mil!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the idea of a crochet square table mat. Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Can you do a ripple tutorial? I love your photos and your clear instructions! Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for the tutorial I love the pattern and plan to make some in my next project. I also love your crochet square table mat. It has definetly inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I LOVE your tutorial. Thankyou so much for taking the time to make these tutorials. They are perfect for me! The pictures are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Bunny Mummy. I just had to drop you a note to day thank you so much for all the wonderful Crochet Tutorials you have shared..

    I am a beginner in crochet and of all the blogs and sites I have looked at, your tutorials are by far the easiest to follow..In fact I made my very first two Hexagons the other night and they turned out wonderful, thanks to your great instructions.

    Thank you again and I look forward to learning so much more from you.. Jennifer Bachman, Bossier City, Louisiana USA

    ReplyDelete
  48. Have just discovered your blog - am a newbie crocheted (and blogger) but am going to attempt these daisies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Just found your blog through pinterest as looking for a daisy granny to do a baby blanket. Thank you for the tute I will surely give it a whirl. Your blog is lovely and I am sure to stop by again. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Gracias por el tutorial- Es hermoso.- Dios la Bendiga.-

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have just started crochet and it did not make sense until i found your page THANKYOU SO MUCH your AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you I am making something similar now but like puff stitches better. My next blanket will use ur pattern. U make it so easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Another lovely pattern Jacquie, thank you! I noticed the pattern when I made the owls from your owl pattern and tried the daisies too, also tried out two other patterns for daisy grannies but your pattern is definately my favourite, the puffs are beautiful! Really good tut on how to do the puff stitch - thank you!
    Anna
    Ikväll har jag verkligen snöat in på att virka mormorsrutor med prästkragar. Tre olika varianter närmare bestämt!

    http://pysselnabon.blogspot.se/2014/02/tre-satt-att-virka-prastkrage.html

    ReplyDelete
  54. i love your little netherland dwarf bunnies , I used to raise and breed for shows , I love my rabbits , I ahd to give them up for homeschooling my children . I want to thank you for sharing the puff stitch , I saw this pattern and loved it instantly . thanks again
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  55. I found your pattern for the daisy granny square. Daisies are the flower for the 5th anniversary. This year is the 5th anniversary of the death of my daughter. During a very difficult time I have made 4 afghans so far and have one more to complete.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thank you for this! You explain it so well

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi, my mum and i have been searching for the little pattern below the vase...the little rug that is...:-)..we can't find it , so we just thought 'we can do this by looking at it'...but it turns out....we can't...:-( The heart of the grannies just don't look like your photo....do you have a pattern or tutorial for that sweet little rug??? thanks and love the blog..., mum found it..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Irene, the pattern for the granny squares can be found here
    http://theroyalsisters.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/grandma-all-square-tutorial.html
    Enjoy.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  59. OHH that is great!! Thanks Jacquie :-), never would have found it myself....thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I am going to make a daisy field for my niece who loves green. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.