Thursday 31 December 2015

My Walk 1000 miles in 2015 Challenge

Hello Lovelies,
back in January this year I was looking at  an issue of Country Walking magazine when I read about their challenge to walk 1000 miles in 2015. I loved the idea and decided to join in. I first wrote about it here.
I dutifully recorded all my outdoor "intentional" miles walked on a calendar. So all I have counted is walks, walking to the local shops and walking to and from my car at work ( as I choose to park further away from the building than I need to)

At first I shared my progress with you lovelies monthly February HERE and March HERE. Having that beautiful Derbyshire calendar to record all my miles on certainly inspired me.
I didn't keep telling you all my monthly statistics as I thought it would get a bit repetitive. But I can report now that the most miles I walked in a month was 105 miles and that was in September.
December has been a bit rubbish actually with only 56 miles walked ( you need to average 82 miles a month to hit the target)

So, the big question....did I manage it?

Well I had 13 miles still to walk in Christmas day. I did some walks this week when it was dark and windy and I would otherwise not have bothered. When I got up this morning I had just 2 and a half miles left to go....so close....eeek...would I manage it?

I decided we should all go on a family walk to mark the occasion. I didn't want to pass the "finishing line" as it were all by myself on a local path I've walked so many times before.

So we got up bright and early and headed for Derbyshire. To somewhere I've shared here before Dovedale

After a windy and rainy day yesterday it was so nice to see the sun............


We crossed the little wooden bridge over the swollen river Dove............


and carefully picked our way along the muddy, slippery path.........


There's an easy path on the opposite bank but it means crossing the stepping stones here to be able to carry on....today they looked a tad scary........


It's such a beautiful place and I half wanted to climb the pointed hill here ( Thorpe Cloud ) but not all members of the family were keen and it is a steep and tricky assent........


So instead we plumped for an easy stroll by the river........


There's still quite a few ups and downs on route ( which you know I love)......


The 111 steps ( yes we counted them) up to Lovers leap are filled with fossils.........


And at the top the sun was just peeping over the hillside.......


The opposite side of the valley was looking very wintry....eldest reminded me the the last time we were here we thought it looked like a rainforest it was so lush........



Yes, definitely winter.......


But still so beautiful.......



 We got to about here and decided to turn back. One day I will do a proper long walk here, but today it was just about keeping everybody happy and walking those last few miles of my challenge.........


When we got back to lovers leap we stopped for a little refreshment and a photo opportunity...as it was time...the 1000 miles had been walked........


My lovely sister in law and niece who joined us even brought bubbles to celebrate! Thank you so much H and H x

 Arriving back at the stepping stones we witnessed a rather dramatic moment as a toddle fell into the water. He  was quickly rescued by his dad, thank goodness........


Nope, still not risking those stepping stones...nobody was........


Youngest was wearing his wellies and made the most of being able to wade along the edge of the river while we gingerly clambered over rocks.......


Oh yes he loved that bit the best.......


 Thankfully we all got back with out anybody getting wet, and said a goodbye for now to the beautiful Dovedale........


I didn't plan to finish my challenge on the last day possible, but it all worked out perfectly in the end. 

I know I'm lucky to have older children who don't need me to be at home all the time...and a very tolerant hubby who likes to walk and doesn't mind me disappearing  on solo walks regularly either. He even puts up with me spending a day a week going out adventuring with my beloved walking group.

So what's in store for 2016?...well more of the same I hope. I'm going to record all my miles again....it's very easy to do. ( I use THIS site to plot where I've been and work out distances) 

Here's the link to the challenge run by Country Walking magazine. It's less than 20 miles a week you know.
 If you can't get outdoors to do all the miles it's possible to count all your walking...that way the challenge would be much easier to reach but still a good incentive to be active.

Here's to starting all over again tomorrow :0)
Happy New Year Lovelies.
Jacquie x 



33 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your last walk of 2015 with us and congratulations on achieving your goal. I've just seen the challenge for 2016 in the magazine and am inspired to join in but not sure if I can manage it especially as we are moving at the start of February but it will encourage me to get out and explore my new area as we are moving from Essex back to Yorkshire.
    Happy New Year and the best of luck with your next challenge
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jacquie, a fantastic achievement. Looking forward to hearing about your 2016 walking adventures. Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! That was a great achievement - I do admire people who can set their minds to something and just do it! (I speak as a bit of a couch potato....but maybe..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the celebration picture and the glass of champagne, such an achievement, well done.
    Christy
    Lilbitbrit

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect ending to a fantastic challenge. All the best for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect ending to a fantastic challenge. All the best for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great picture, with your glass of champagne ! Congrats, you look relieved lol. I'd just like to say also...I think you take really good photo's. Always enjoy them. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Jacquie! Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. It has been inspirational to experience the miles with you through your photographs. Happy New Year! Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* - what an amazing accomplishment!!
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray! I'm so glad you made it! Thanks for all the walks this year, and here's to more of the same next year. Happy New Year to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!
    Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! I think that it is great that it took a year and that you finished it today and celebrated so well!! That is a wonderful achievement!! Happy New Year! Here's to a good 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wooo Hooo well done you.happy 2016.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, I am so glad you made your target. It has been great coming on so many of your walks with you. Brilliant you had lovely sunshine today and that you were able to share your achievement with your family. I really feel inspired to do more walking in 2016 and you have played a part in inspiring me. Happy New Year to you and yours. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wooo Hooo! Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about many of your walks through the year. You are a true inspiration.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous Jacquie and congrats from me in Oz......you inspire this old one to try this year for more adventuring walks 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not surprised to see the river is flowing a bit wider than usual! Dovedale and the surrounding land is a great place to walk and it was great that were able to get out somewhere and walk your 1000th mile in celebratory fashion!

    Thorpe Hill from the other side is a very easy ascent - just very steep!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jacquie, that's brilliant, what an achievement! You should be very proud of yourself. You've been on so many really gorgeous walks, and that last one looks lovely. How wonderful that everyone came along with you and your sister-in
    -law and niece brought bubbly. Very well deserved I think! I'm wishing you and yours a very happy 2016, and many more fantastic walks. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. CONGRATULATIONS, JACQUIE...!!! You have achieved a very noteworthy goal, and I send you and your family blessings in 2016!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to you, Jacquie, on completing the 2015 1000. And...thank you for sharing your beautiful part of the world with the rest of us via your lovely posts.

    Best wishes for a fabulous 2016. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!! Happy New Year 2016. God bless you. Thanks for sharing such lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look forward to many more virtual walks and pretty pictures
    Happy New Year
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on reaching your goal, Jacquie! How lovely to be able to celebrate with friends. That swollen river looks a bit treacherous after all the news reports we have seen in Australia about terrible flooding in the UK. I don't think I would be game enough to try those stepping stones in those conditions either! Thank you for taking time to share all the sights of your countryside with simple but ample descriptions. I look forward to catching more of your picturesque posts in 2016. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fabulous! Congrats on reaching the 1000 mile marker! A wonderful way to end the year, out walking with the family. I didn't even manage to keep track of mine, and I know I didn't come close to a 1000.lol But every one of them were enjoyed all the same. (Maybe I'll do better in the new year!)Love the photo of you and your sign marking the moment the best. Here's to a well walked new year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on achieving 1,000 miles that is such a great achievement! I know Dovedale, the river does look very swollen, it must have a good place to finish and celebrate! Wishing you a happy new year. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats Jacquie! Well done and all the best for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bravo, Jacquie! Thanks for sharing glimpses of your gorgeous 1000 miles. May you be blessed as you walk another 1000 in 2016 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful and impressive accomplishment. The countryside is so gorgeous. Many years ago I had the opportunity to spend three months in Berkshire and I always will remember the lovely rolling hills and historical sights. I have been following your walk and I am so glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful photos and final walk! Congratulations and good luck with your 2016 1000 miles challenge! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done you and thank you for sharing your walks... some of us who love the outside can no longer do those walk and I for one miss it so much... it isn't the same to see your walks but they do allow me to connect with some nature I can not actual connect with myself. So a heart felt thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just KNEW that you could and would do it. So chuffed for you! What an achievement and wonderful end to the year.
    I look forward to reading what you get up to this year too.
    Jones x
    (Can you guess what one of my resolutions was...?!)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.