Wednesday 26 March 2014

Homes on Wheels

Hello Lovelies,
when I photographed this charming but sadly neglected wagon we came across on our weekend walk I had no idea what it actually was.
 I called it a "carriage" in my previous post because I thought at first it was a train or tram carriage.........


Among the kind comments I received, one cleared up what it actually is......... 

I absolutely love your photo's The one with the wagon is great . This once was a very smart Showman's Living Wagon . My brother in-law has one and it is beautiful. If I could do links I would show you. Thank you for a wonderful blog .

Well thank you Alison for clearing up this little mystery and introducing me to these wonderful homes on wheels.
"Showman's living wagons" are home to the families travelling around Britain,
 running Fun Fairs in towns and villages. 


Of course it's always the vintage versions that are the prettiest. And it's easy to see why these wonderful examples from 30's and 40's are now being converted into new uses.
A quick internet search turned up loads of lovingly restored wagons looking as beautiful as they did back in the old days. Painted in traditional red and cream they really do make wonderfully characterful and charming holiday homes ......



Or garden buildings...........

Look at this sweet wagon sitting in a field. I think it looks a lot like the one we spotted on our walk would have looked in the past..........

Garden
This one  lives in Cornwall and is called "Duke"

And we get a peek inside, that's always the most interesting part don't you think :0)
Look at his sweet little kitchen.........

Kitchen

And cosy living area with so many period features. I love the wall papered ceiling and glass display cabinet with crochet edgings on the shelves.........

Duke Cornish Showmans Waggon

And a glimpse into his snug bedroom...........

Bathroom
And he is also a holiday rental.  HERE's the link.

 I bit more searching turned up THIS lovely blog post about a short holiday taken in Duke....Do take a look lovelies, he looks even more charming in Caroline's post.

And HERE's another holiday home, this time in Suffolk..........



Ooooh, a lovely light and fresh feel here.........



and another snug sleeping area...........



I already had a soft spot for all things caravan and camper-van, and now I am happy to add showman's living wagons to my wheeled home daydreams. I hope you enjoyed these links and images too.
Jacquie x

P.S. I'm not being sponsored for any of the links in this post....and I'm not making personal recommendations,  I'm simply linking back to the  image sources I've used of these lovely old vehicles.

33 comments:

  1. I thought that it was a train carriage when I saw it on your previous post, but now you have mentioned the showmans wagon, it makes total sense and I could see it straight away! Funny how we see something and don't really see what it actually is isn't it. Love all the other pictures that you have found, there are some really interesting uses out there for these old wagons! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow aren't they fantastic? I love the third one, it would look great in my garden - if I had one big enough! Wouldn't it be lovely to get the chance to refurbish an unloved one? X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they are amazing, on the inside they really look like cozy country homes! Thanks for sharing these images! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these wonderfully cozy retreats. What a delight it would be to spend some time in and around them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool are they!!??!! All cozy and comfy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are soooo beautiful, as a happy but humble crumbling caravan owner I really want something like this in my garden to retire to. Some fab ideas on pinterest btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I had a love of camper vans and narrow boats... I think I have just changed my mind! These are beautiful!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the VW campervans come to an end and my sadness was palpable I now have a new love(fickle I know...) Thanks for sharing Jacquie, they are gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful. There is a man who goes to the 1940's event at Ramsey every year and he has one of these wagons and has a trailer with swing boats on, so nostalgic and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Have you seen this website http://www.canopyandstars.co.uk/ they have a few wagons you can rent for hols. I am not advertising, but was fascinated by the selection of amazing places to stay!! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh they're absolutely beautiful. I just love little homes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all beautiful, and I'm sure if the one you found could talk, it would tell some very interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think these are wonderfully romantic travelling homes and would love to have one to call my own! Thanks so much for sharing the pics and info, Jacquie! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are beautiful. I like the one with the chickens best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LoVe these photos. We have a caravan, or what we call camping trailers here in the U.S. It's 29 feet long and I live in it all summer long at a lake in the mountains not far from home. I would love to decorate it like these but since it's only 1 year old, Hubby won't let me paint, etc. so I have lots of crocheted pillows and throws and a homemade quilt on the bed. As cozy as I can get it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are all beautiful. I bet that old one could be restored by someone with a lot of patience (and cash!). xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an interesting post. I love the interior of Duke...makes me want to go stay there! Thank you for sharing this :-)
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are beautiful! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are stunning, what a wonderful project to restore the original "wagon".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how lovely. What a great post. It makes me want one! My dad is a train man, and he and my mum have a train carriage in their garden that he rescued from neglect many years ago. He has finally restored it and they use it as a summerhouse, and it's just lovely to be in. My ultimate love would be an airstream, but at my local antiques centre there is a company that sell Shepherds Huts. Oh they are so, so nice, and I could be very happy with one of those! I'll just keep dreaming for now! ha ha!

    Have a super rest of a week!

    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic!!!!!
    thank you, xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aren't they beautiful?! They look really cosy too. have a good weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing, wouldn't I love to spend a weekend or two or three in one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely post, I've never seen those before! They remind me of railway carriages, I found such a gorgeous one to rent recently, down in my home patch in Dorset, do go and look at the interior. Wonderful escapism!
    http://www.dream-cottages.co.uk/cottage-details/RAILC

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is very inspiring. We are building our cabin in Easter weekend and I hope to post it's progress - Don't know if it will be as beautifully decorated as these, probably all the bits left over in our house I shouldn't wonder. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooh so glad you shared this, I was just think wow I'd love to escape to one of these for a few days then you shares holiday home one.
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the comment. Loved the follow up too. I have always loved these vans but my dream was to have a shepherds hut . Finally last year I had one . It has been great fun doing up my own special place .

    ReplyDelete
  28. They are wonderful. Photos are spectacular as always. What a wonderful way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks you for these photos. They are inspiring. Here in the U.S. we have a Burro, a small fiberglass trailer, that my Dad outfitted in the '80s but that is a daunting rehab project now. Your photos give me hope that we could create something quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These wagons really appeal to me and I enjoyed looking at all these wonderful examples. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just found this while watching George Clark's Amazing Spaces programme on TV - he's converting an old static caravan but in each episode he visits other 'small space living areas' around the country. It's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there It's so nice to stumble upon the Duke in your post. He is our showman's wagon here in Cornwall and really quite special. I don't know a lot about these beautiful wagons but we are learning as we go. Currently we are restoring a new one 'The Duchess' who is to sit in her own garden next door to the Duke it's a slow process because she was quite badly damaged. Thank you for including the Duke as I said it was great to find hime here in your lovely post.
    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  33. In a normal Hot Wheels Recreations themed circuit, the course will offer bunches of circles, drop offs and inclines. Hot Wheels Cars

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.